how to impress an employer on your first day
Here you are, it’s your first day in your brand new job and you are super keen to impress! Who wouldn’t be? But, believe it or not some people make the mistake of thinking all the hard work is done now that they have bagged the job. When really it’s when all the real work begins.
On your first day/weeks your attitude and work ethic are the main things people will see, as no one has had a chance to evaluate your work skills just yet… you want to make the RIGHT impression.
Here is a quick round up of things you could do to make sure you are on the right road:
- RELAX the night before, get plenty of rest so you are ready for the first day full of beans!
- Choose the right clothing, if in doubt of what to wear always go more conservative, as you can relax your dress code once you see what everyone else is wearing.
- Show up early, don’t be that late person on your first day. Get there at least 15 minutes before.
- Smile. Simple but very effective, you will be meeting lots of people and shaking lots of hands. Your co-workers will remember a smiley/approachable colleague rather than a glum one.
- Pay attention to your body language, think about how others could perceive you.
- Give 100% attention, turn off your phone, do not find a dark corner to sit down in, project energy and general interest.
- Prepare an elevator pitch, get ready to give a 30-second explainer of who you are and where you were before, as no doubt lots of people will ask!
- Figure out the social landscape, associate with the right crowd, get to grips with the office politics.
- Don’t try too hard, be yourself as much as you can. By doing this you will naturally be more open and approachable.
- Say YES if you are asked out to lunch! This is an excellent opportunity to mingle with your new team.
AND finally listen & observe….. The best thing anyone can do in the first few days of a new job is listen, listen, listen. It’s your chance to grasp the bigger picture which will help you progress as time goes on!