Earlier in the month the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a report which highlighted the fact that there are only a dozen years for us to keep global warming at a maximum of 1.5C. If global warming rises above this level, it could make massive differences to our climate including the death of coral reefs and increased melting of ice in the arctic.
It is all important that we do our bit to reduce our carbon footprint and keep the planet healthy, so that future generations can enjoy it. We all know that our offices produce a lot of waste and our behaviours at work could be increasing our carbon footprint.
We here at rthirteen think making your office eco-friendlier is a great way to help the planet and so we have compiled our top 15 tips on how to make your office more planet friendly.
1. Go paperless – technology is great, and it allows us to store so much data online that the use of paper in the office isn’t really needed anymore. If you can’t go completely paperless, try and see which of your processes you can remove paper from.
2. Recycling ink & toner cartridges – this is a really simple way to help the environment and there are loads of companies that will take your old cartridges, just look for a local one to you online.
3. Use micro-fibre cloths instead of paper towels -these cloths can easily be reused and will stop you throwing away lots of paper towels. You can a pack of 10 for only £6.28 on Amazon - https://amzn.to/2JcTXnQ
4. Have designated recycling bins – making sure you have specific bins for recycling, making it easier for employees to separate their recycling.
5. Clean greener – green cleaning products work just the same as regular cleaning products, but the difference is they use natural, non-toxic ingredients that won’t damage the environment.
6. Unplug – it’s very important that you power down everything at the end of the day, leaving computers and electronics on overnight uses a lot of energy.
7. Try to utilise natural light – most would agree that natural light is much nicer than artificial light, so if you can get those blinds open, let the light in and turn off your artificial lights.
8. Start monthly environmental competitions – this can be a great way to motivate your team to lead a greener lifestyle. These competitions could include; trying not to drive to work for a month or seeing who can walk the most during the month.
9. Add desk plants to your office – we love our plants in the rthirteen office and not only are they a great way to brighten up the office, but they also emit lots of oxygen offsetting any chemicals emitted by new office furniture.
10. Cut back on disposables – try to limit the amount of disposable plastics your office uses, such as disposable cutlery and paper plates. If you need these items, try to look for compostable alternatives.
11. Bring your own lunch – encourage you staff to bring in that leftover pasta instead of throwing it away. Bringing in your own lunch is not only healthier but saves on the plastic and packaging you get when you buy lunch.
12. BYOB – try to institute a bring your own reusable bottle policy, where employees can bring in their own water bottles to refill throughout the day.
13. Donate or recycle old furniture/electronics – don’t just throw everything into the skip, try and look for places where you can recycle all of your old furniture/electronics.
14. Energy Saving Computers – We aren’t saying to get rid of all your computers and replace them but maybe when it comes time to buy a new one, look for those with the Energy Star label.
15. Use TerraCycle - this is a great company that provides zero waste solutions for all those hard to recycle items you have. Check them out at this link → https://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-GB
We hope you take some of these tips on board and do your bit for the environment.
Make sure you connect with us on our other social media channels to keep up to date with the latest jobs, news, blogs, competitions and more…